Featured Post

Film review: Danton outgrosses Robespierre

Preface: As I've said, oldie writing will be dusted off and plunked blogside (at least at first; new stuff should gradually overtake i...

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

How an intellectual clears the sidewalk

Fussily, to put it briefly.
    Which might be why the blog has suffered of late, for a dump of snow seems to have arrived every second day here in Edmonton this winter, and I seem to be constantly outside with a shovel, doing the long, long sidewalk on our corner lot, which may be the death of my writing career.
    But I do get a bit of brainwork done between times, albeit all too little, slowly, and somehow the sidewalk always seems to suffer. Snow must be cleared promptly to be done easily; if you wait, the white stuff is stomped down and glues to the walk, and/or melts/refreezes at this time of year, which is even worse. And so if I struggle, as I do, to complete my Bob-Dylan-surrealizes-Shakespeare article (hideously overdue) or skim the rags to reconnoiter the issues--getting maybe a handful of global warming items that might be the seed of something--the sidewalk is maybe developing ice-patches, injuries and lawsuits...
    Even writing the above intro has cost a half hour of potential work time in the taxi, where I spend 60+ hours a week. You just can't win. And God knows how many global-warming articles are scattered around this anarchy of an office.